“Sometimes your disappointments make you a stronger person for the future” – Blanka Vlasic
I hope you were not overwhelmed by yesterday’s long list of fears athletes have about seeing a sports psychologist, because today, I will be laying down another 40 reasons athletes are still not convinced to engage a sports psychologist to be part of their team.
Some of the reasons and comments I will share with you today include:
- Going To A Shrink Shows You Can’t Handle Your Own Problems, That You Are Weak.
- I Tried Counseling Before And It Didn’t Work, So Why Should Sports Psychology Work?
- Is Sports Psychology Compatible With The Medications I Take?
- I Have Some Secrets I Don’t Want Anyone To Know About. Is There A Chance The Sports Psychologist Would Try To Get Them Out Of Me?
- I Might Begin Talking About Some Very Emotional Issues, Possibly Lose Emotional Control And Even Begin To Cry, And That Would Be Embarrassing.
- They May Make Me Take Some Psychological Test.
- Will They Tape Record The Sessions? I Want Privacy.
- Who Else Will Be There?
- Will The Sports Psychologist Contact Anyone Else I Know And Ask Them Questions About Me?
- Will The Therapist Try To Drag My Other Family Members Into Sessions?
- My Friend Had A Bad Experience With A Sports Psychologist Once And I Don’t Want That To Happen To Me.
- I Hear That Sports Psychologists Just Give You A Pep Talk And Tell You To Think Positive.
- I Don’t Want Anyone Tinkering With My Physical Technique To Improve My Mental Game.
- Sports Psychology Sounds Negative Because All You Do Is Talk About Problems.
- No One Could Possibly Help Me With The Problems I Have.
and many many more…!
I want to be honest with you that part of this particular content has been republished from William B. Cole’s article. He has already done the hard work to come up with this. Thank you William. I think most of what he did is valuable for you to understand first before we dive even deeper to the mindful strategies I will be sharing more in future episodes.
Find out more at StarPlayerAcademy.com/44
Need a step-by-step guide to insider secrets to becoming a successful athlete?
Download that cheat sheet now.
- Download your Cheat Sheet and be reminded of our NEW BOOK series launch
- Get the MasterPlan. Sign up and download now.
Best Performance Books:
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for joining me today. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
What is the greatest challenge you are facing in your sport right now?
Send me your answers now to email@example.com. I will respond to you with the profound strategies relevant to your needs.
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Please leave an honest review for The StarPlayer Academy Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
If you have any questions, email me anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will surely respond to them to get your questions answered quickly.
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the show on iTunes to get automatic updates. It’s free!